Engine Build

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

mseal
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Engine Build

Post by mseal »

Okay guys and gals. It's time to rebuild the 1.8 in the miata. Going for the most bang for the buck for CSP. I've gotta have a bit more HP to keep up with Justin. I'm looking for ideas that will/may/are proven to work without facing catastrophic failure at midseason. My engine guy seems to know his stuff and has been studying the rulebook and at times he's speaking greek to me about some of the ideas he has. There is always the budget to consider. Haven't decided on a number yet, but there has to be a point of little gain for a lot more money. Any and all suggestions/ideas will be appreciated.

Mick

00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Re: Engine Build

Post by 00GTJustin »

My main suggestion is to get a new head. The 1994ish head makes much less power from what I've seen. I went down to race my friend Kevin this past weekend. I lost to his 2001 powered car by 1.5 seconds, and he said he was down 15+ horsepower in the midrange because his VVT controller was broken... His peak horsepower is still roughly the same (HIGH!) but I saw dyno charts with and without the VVT and they are vastly different curves.

You could just straight up buy a 2001 motor and spend the rest on a hydra nemesis or such to be able to run it. (This would probably cost...$3k or so..)

OR... try to find a '99 head, port match it to the intake/exhaust (apparently the exhaust has HUGE room to play, and the ports aren't even centered on the exhaust manifold. If you go that route, you could consider making a cheap offer on these: http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/389964/S ... spx#389964 and build a "top-end" bottom end under it.

As far as little things inside the motor. That's beyond my scope yet. :/
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
CabotTeg118
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Post by CabotTeg118 »

Phil Fitzmaurice
2005 Honda S2000
1989 Honda Civic Si
1994 Acura Integra LS Sedan - Retired
1987 Acura Integra - LeMons Car
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by DLingenfelter »

Might not be CSP legal but you would be my hero.

I say scour craigslist over the winter here and look for the same setup justin was discussing with an 01 model engine. Amazing deals pop up on the list! Go the megasquirt route, throw on the headers, and a crank pulley.
Internals kinda worry me, always seems like when people go through that much trouble that they're always having to fiddle with and tune them.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Megasquirt won't control the VVT. There is one controller in existence so far, and it was designed ground-up by its owner.
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

i believe that aluminum flywheels are legal in SP. they dont "add power" but they do help significantly in reducing rotational mass, as well as mass in general. the 8 lb fidanza unit i put in the mx6 made a huge difference from the 40 lb paperweight currently sitting in the shed. there is always Colin Chapman's method to going fast " add lightness" how much weight is there left to be shaved? its a drop top, who needs air conditioning ( compressor, condenser, lines, ect. )? steel fenders are heavy. plenty of good carbon fiber/ fiberglass seats that are much lighter. steel hoods/deck lids are heavy. what exhaust manifold are you using, the heavy stocker or a lighter header( good for a few hp to boot). do you really need to have glass in the doors if the top is down ( a bit extreme, but its good for at least 20 lbs with the glass and mechanical units, more if they're power ) stock battery, or a motorcycle batt. ?
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

95% of what you just said is not legal for *SP. :|
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

doh... i wasnt having a good day yesterday apparently. :oops: missed completely where the 2010 schedule was posted and here went off on a rant that was completely useless
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!