SCCA Runoffs

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

LynnCombs
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Corvette

SCCA Runoffs

Post by LynnCombs »

Lynn Combs
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Re: SCCA Runoffs

Post by LynnCombs »

Hope some of you were able to see the runoffs live ... I was able to watch the last 2 races of the day on Friday.
Lynn Combs
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

What a great 3 days of races!!! Carl Cress, Eric Danielsen, and I worked the 3 race days.
During the Spec Miata race, two black cars hit the Jersey barrier at Turn 1 right in front of where Eric and I were standing. There was a big mess during the start of the FV race that got one car in the air, and several cars damanged. Suprising, it was self cleaning, and we had two cars pull off at the flag station 1/2 down the front straight.

Emmet Stanley from Marion, VA in his SSC Cobalt finished 8th after starting 15th. He drove a clean and steady race. Steve Strickand was there helping crew, so he may have more insight.

Road America is a great track, great facilities, and 4 miles long. Mostly fast turns leading onto long straights. And being in Wisconsin you would think the track is flat. It is built on the only set of rolling hills that we saw. It must have as much elevation change as VIR.

When you see Eric, ask him about the handshake :)
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

Wholly agree, RA is an imposing track. Very fast, everyone with a "handling" car in SS & T classes was crying the blues. Lotsa walls and jersey barriers without tire walls as well- more than a couple of folks had hard hits (T1 in particular).

Emmitt Staley did indeed have a great Runoff's- had never seen the track before a couple of paid practice sessions on Sat and three 20 minute qualifiers before the race. Much stronger field (23 cars) than the past few Runoff's. Emmitt started 15th and finished 8th, scrapping the whole race. His goal was a top ten finish- well done! (Now if I could get him to transfer to our region from NCR).

Couple of pictures from the worker party- one shows Emmitt with Jeff Wendell and Verne Danielson (Eric's father). The other shows some familiar suspects....Lastly, Emmitt at speed mid-race. (Not the best angle, since I spent the race on pit wall with radio duty).

Had a great time- had to leave early unfortunately, so I missed some of the better races. May have another chance next year...

Steve
lap 5 a.jpg
lap 5 a.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Attachments
Dent, Jeff, Verne a.jpg
Dent, Jeff, Verne a.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
BRR gang a.jpg
BRR gang a.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.