Alignment

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

mseal
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Alignment

Post by mseal »

Anyone have "secret" Street Prepared alignment specs? I got the car back today and it is in desperate need of an alignment. I hope to have it set by the weeked (tomorrow?). Thanks!

Mick

Scott
Veteran

Re: Alignment

Post by Scott »

what are your spring rates?
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by mseal »

GC coilovers w/700#/350#, Koni race, RB bars, 13 X 8 w/710s. That's where I'm starting and I'll see how it goes from here. Thanks!

Mick

Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

Your rates are very close to what I am using on my STS(2) car. Compaired to other setups I have looked at I actually run less rear camber than front, as the rear suspension has a LOT of dynamic camber gain. I typically run .25 degrees less camber in the rear. I also keep the rear at 0 toe. Toeing in the rear may cause it to be a little tail happy.
Here is how I would initally set up the car with the sticky rubber:

Ride Height
12.25" rear, 12.0" Front

Front Alignment
-2.5* Camber
Max Caster
1/8" Toe out

Rear Alignment
-2.3* Camber
0 Toe
DSPDA3
Admin
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

Scott -

Where are you measuring ride height from? I'm curious where you get 12.25" and 12" of ride height. Granted my Acura is totally different, but I'm measuring just over 22" front and rear, and the wheel/tire fills up the fender quite nicely with no tucking. I'm measuring from the center of the tire where it meets the ground, to the top of the fender.

Ryan
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

DSPDA3 wrote:Scott -

Where are you measuring ride height from? I'm curious where you get 12.25" and 12" of ride height. Granted my Acura is totally different, but I'm measuring just over 22" front and rear, and the wheel/tire fills up the fender quite nicely with no tucking. I'm measuring from the center of the tire where it meets the ground, to the top of the fender.

Ryan

I'm measuring from the hub (middle of the wheel), to the bottom of the wheel arch.
DSPDA3
Admin
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Ryan
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Sorry Mick- I've been in Dixie! (sucking..)

My alignment will do you no good for two reasons: I had it done at stock ride height, then lowered it 2+ inches and replaced bushings and never had it aligned again. My best guesses:

-3F/-3.5R camber
1/2" total toe out front/0 toe rear
Caster...maxed out....5ish?

My springs are way softer and I have stock sways...so all that camber is about right for me :)
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

Justin,
Are you running a rear sway bar? I'm thinking about loosing mine. I've never messed with mine.
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

I still run one. Many top guys don't...we'll see what happens when I get coilovers (not soon :( )
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by mseal »

Well I've done an initial alignment and now I'll probably need to adjust ride height a bit which will change all the alignment settings. I hope I can get it all done before Saturday or I may be pulling out the spanner wrench and asking for technical assistance on the lot in Verona Saturday. I have no idea how it's all gonna be, but I've got to start somewhere. The front is about 1" high and the rear about 1/2-3/4" low. I may have a clearance issue in the back, so I want to fix that before the event. The rear sway is attached and I think for this weekend it will stay. I plan to do some corner weighting when I can. It will probably be squirley to say the least. Remember the temp is supposed to go down to 30 or lower Friday night, so the lot will be cold early. Little or no grip from the 710s.

Mick

00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Adjusting the front ride height will definitely change your alignment a *lot*. Lowering gains you camber and toe out.

Adjusting the rear right height is a decent way to adjust the balance of the car at an event from what I understand. Go up and the car loosens up, go down and it tightens up. All the rear is really changing is camber, which will effect the car's balance...so voila!
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

lol, sounds like a lot of miata's will be fiddling with suspension bits. I'll be fiddling with my Low$$ coilover setup as well (although looking at it there's already stuff I wish I had installed differently...eh well). My car has the bar removed so if you want to see what a rearbar-less miata handles like you can give her a try later in the day (different spring rates then all of you guys though, 450front/350rear).
I'll bring my tools.
Anybody want me to bring jackstands just in case?
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by mseal »

I'll be bringing jackstands, jack, tools, etc. too! Just in case it's really bad. Anyone have an extra spanner wrench that they will have with them? I have one, but I may find that two at a time may be helpful. Thanks David! Ray & I plan to be onsite early Saturday morning to get things setup so we can maximize our time. See y'all then.

Mick

rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

Ray & I plan to be on site early Saturday morning to get things setup so we can maximize our time. See y'all then.
BTW, you're all welcome to join us :lol:
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

At least I know my camber is *exactly* right for my setup from this picture! :lol: