Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Update and Question

Post by ltborg »

hey all,
hope things are going well back in virginia. sorry i havent had the chance to post since moving down here. i am finally getting settled in and have most of the little stuff taken care of. things are going pretty well down here. ive found a couple places to work on my car, ive found most of the hot spots in town (there is plenty to do even though it is small), and training is going well.

my upcoming travel includes going to phoenix, az for the bondurant driving school at the end of may and will be up in akron, oh most of june immediately after arizona. ill also be in dc the last 2 weekends of june so if anyone will be in those areas at that time, let me know if you want to meet up.

it looks like ill have to skip nationals this year but i am trying to fix that. short story is i need to have my thesis done early to mid fall so i am spending most of my free time trying to get that done before its too late. if i make some good progress ill be able to go but just in case, i am assuming i cant. the upside is next year i will have a pretty well prepped car and will have done a really really good set up on it. its not definite yet but if i can swing it there wont be any guess work on the car setup.

along those lines, i am trying to figure out what i need to be looking into to properly prep the car and i started looking at the time trials rules since id like to run that also once i get back into autocross. i was reading the hillclimb section of the rules and it seems to me that since the car will be street prepared, you can get away with a 4 point roll bar. am i reading this correctly or did i miss something? any advice from someone with a little more experience in time trials than me would be appreciated.

thanks guys, hope things are going well back there. keep in touch,
lane
Lane Borg
#? AS - Slowly inching closer to racing again
2004 Corvette Coupe
Goodyear Engineer/Test Driver
http://www.VTMotorsports.com
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

I....don't know. Saturns aren't fast enough for TTs anyway :lol:

I just wanted to say hello! Seems like you have some awesome trips coming up! You will be in DC the same weekend as the Prosolo...you should come out to watch for a while :D
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
Chiketkd
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

00GTJustin wrote:You will be in DC the same weekend as the Prosolo...you should come out to watch for a while :D
+1 Would be nice if you could swing by Fedex during the DC Pro.
Chike D.
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

A 4 point bar is legal for hill climbs in stock and SP cars. It must be the correct size tubing and have a diagonal. There had been some rumblings about requiring cages but it has been kept out.

Open Prod cars and GT1, Amer Sedan, etc. require a cage.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by ltborg »

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Glen. I figure if I get a decent roll bar in there then I can cage it if it really comes to that.

As for the ProSolo, I should be able to swing by at some point. I need to double check my flights but I am booked all day Saturday with a bachelors party so maybe Sunday mid-day assuming my flight doesnt leave then.
Lane Borg
2004 Corvette Coupe
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

The other issue to consider with a hill climb is what you're going to encounter if you make a bad mistake. A roll over at a track isn't too bad an experience. At a hill climb, you have to worry about trees and rocks. While a convertible with a roll bar is legal, a hard top or cage makes more sense.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by ltborg »

glenthompson wrote:The other issue to consider with a hill climb is what you're going to encounter if you make a bad mistake. A roll over at a track isn't too bad an experience. At a hill climb, you have to worry about trees and rocks. While a convertible with a roll bar is legal, a hard top or cage makes more sense.
oh definitely, i completely agree, however i might argue that a roll over anywhere is that bad of an experience. im just trying to figure while im putting in harnesses, i may as well get a start on the roll bar instead of a harness bar. if i get really serious about the more advanced stuff in the future, i would fully cage the car, but thats a little much for a autocross/daily driver right now.
Lane Borg
2004 Corvette Coupe