Trailer reccomendations

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Trailer reccomendations

Post by Scott »

In a month of so I will be buying my first trailer. This will be my first time towing. Any reccomendations about what type of trailer and what options I should have on it?
Thanks
glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

What will you be towing with? That makes a difference in what you can tow. Next decision is open vs. enclosed. Enclosed makes it easier to store tools and supplies at the track but costs more and weighs more. It can also limit what you can carry. I've used my open trailer to tow a variety of vehicles.

If you don't plan to tow anything heavy, a single axle has easier to handle but limits you to 3500 lbs.

As to particulars, make sure you can load & unload the car easily. Way too many people have to go through contortions to keep the car's bottom from dragging as you go down the ramp.

Make sure you can get in & out of the car when loading. If you drive it on, can you get the door open to get out?

How easy are the tie downs to attach? Anything you can do without crawling under the car is a big advantage. It get pretty messy having to crawl around a trailer after a rainy event.

On an open trailer is there room for a storage box?

Since I use my RV as a tow vehicle a lot of the time, I needed a light weight trailer due to a max tow weight of 5k.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by Scott »

I will be towing a Miata with a Honda Ridgeline, rated to 5000 lbs. It will be an open trailer, I was thinking about a dual axle trailer, mostly for stability
kd3pc

Post by kd3pc »

Featherlites are nice and reliable, all be a bit pricey.

Make sure you get a good brake controller and mirrors, other than that, may not even know it is back there.

all the best

dave