General club news and info

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

New book

Post by glenthompson »

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 10, 2007) –Sports Car Club of America, Inc. (SCCA) announced today a partnership with Dragon Publishing to distribute its comprehensive guide to motorsports participation, “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel.” The special SCCA Edition of the book provides step-by-step instruction for racing enthusiasts with aspirations of racing in their own racecar.

“I grew up watching races and always dreamed that one day it would be me out on the track,” Dave Gran, author of “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” said. “Unfortunately, when I first attempted to get into the sport, I listened to the wrong people and thought that racing is only a sport for the rich. Of course now I know better.

“When I was getting into racing, I faced several hurdles and all too many times did things the hard way. I later realized that I was not alone and many others face the same obstacles, or even worse, choose to never pursue racing as a hobby. This inspired me to write a book that clearly shows how anyone can become involved in motorsports and how to overcome the most common road blocks. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!”

Gran’s book guides readers through various forms of racing starting with Solo events held on large open paved lots, Performance Driving Experience events (PDX) held on permanent road course race tracks, and competitive wheel-to-wheel Club Racing with a racecar. “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” also describes what the prospective racer can expect when entering the world of SCCA Club Racing, steps on building or purchasing a racecar, safety considerations, detailed costs for budgets ranging from economy to extravagant and much more.

“My goal with this book is to prove that racing is possible and affordable for the average person,” said Gran. “Most people would be surprised at just how attainable it really is to begin racing. Life is too short not to pursue our dreams.”

“Our average club racer is a regular person with a nine to five job and a really, really fun hobby,” SCCA President & CEO Jim Julow said. “Becoming involved in racing can sometimes seem intimidating, but it doesn’t need to be. “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” provides clear and easy-to-follow instructions on becoming actively involved in motorsports with the SCCA.”

SCCA has scheduled the release of “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel” for early June 2007. Orders are being accepted now on the SCCA merchandise web site (www.SCCACollection.com) or by calling 888-267-2187 for $16.95, plus shipping and handling.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI