Does anyone like to play in the dirt anymore????

SCCA Rally and RallyCross, Upcoming rally-style events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

rx71985
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mazda

Does anyone like to play in the dirt anymore????

Post by rx71985 »

So it has been almost 4 years since a post in this topic. I know that BRR had a bad experience with the first and only rallycross in 2002. I was there and it was a fun event, it just rained and caused problems. Has anyone ever given anymore thought about trying it again? I quit running autocrosses with BRR in the early 2000's due to not enough runs because of to many people. I then started running with the DC region in Rallycross, mainly in Orange County VA. Lots of seat time and limited to 60 entrees. Probably the most fun I have ever had in a car. I am now back to trying to run the local autocrosses and all track sprints, but would love to get in the dirt again. DC runs at Summit and somewhere else up north now. Does anyone here run with them, or know of any other venues? I am wanting to pick up a $500 beater and go.
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Re: Does anyone like to play in the dirt anymore????

Post by hklvette »

The short answer: when you have 2000+ (WDCR, CCR, etc.) members you can do things that regions an order of magnitude smaller can't.

The long answer:
It comes down to manpower and money. You cite WDCR-SCCA as an example: they field 150-250 people per autocross. For comparison's sake BRR has 206 members total (many of whom are counted under a family membership and don't typically participate), and typically field ~70 people per autocross event. With fewer people means fewer people willing to actually do the work to make the events run. As it is now, the same core group of ~6 people in BRR runs both the Solo and Track Sprint programs including scheduling, logistics, and operations. I suspect that WDCR has three groups with different people in each: one for Solo, one for Road Racing, and one for RallyCross.

We'd also have to find a site, which can be a significant effort on its own: know anyone with a fairly flat field that wouldn't mind a racing line cut into it? The only place that comes to mind is the NRV Fairgrounds, assuming we could afford the rental.

In the end, we have to pick our battles and do what is of most benefit to the most members and is financially viable. Track Sprints appear to be doing that in addition to our Solo program. Hosting a rallycross with a sustained attendance of 20-30 (using WDCR's 1:3 ratio) people does not meet any of these criteria.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
rx71985

Post by rx71985 »

I completely understand. I do remember it being a sore subject for quite sometime afterwards. I believe the only reason that it was able to happen back then was because it was a joint event with the DC region. And you are right they have a group of guys that just run all the rally and rallycross events.
I am very happy with the track sprint program, it is actually the reason I rejoined the SCCA. I look forward to continuing with those. Thanks to all involved with getting it going. It is a fresh new thing that I believe was much needed.
I still am going to try to run some rallycrosses again one day.
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

Henry is spot on with his explanation. We appreciate you rejoining SCCA and coming out to the track Sprint. Luckily that seems to be a good additional program to our region along side our solo program.

It is a good way for brr members to get involved in another way than solo and can also be a good stepping stone for those wishing to pursue track oriented driving.

I have found myself spending alot of time in the wdcr this year with the hpde and road racing program. As much as I'd love for brr to pick up a rally, hpde, club racing program Henry is right is just not viable.

As a side note a friend of mine lives out in the Midwest and there region is primarily rally. Lack of road courses and parking lots. Primarily farm land. Also I doubt Hawaii or Guam regions have any road racing and are primarily solo.

I will add even thought I spend more time in the wdcr here recently they will not get my solo buissnees and I certainly won't be changing my region on record any time soon.

Again thank you for supporting the brr track Sprint program
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
rx71985

Post by rx71985 »

As I Previously said I completely understand. I like the fact that the BRR is a small group of dedicated members. I do not want to be any part of something like the WDCR Solo. The old Rally members were great and a lot of fun to run with. Back then they were a small and dedicated group too. Our solo program is much better than it was back in the early 2000's. Sometimes we would only get 3 runs, and be there till 4-5 after clean up. That is the reason I got out back then.
As far as the rallycross, I just want to do it again. It will not be with BRR and that is OK, but if anyone wants to come if I have an open seat lets go.
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

rx71985 wrote:As I Previously said I completely understand. I like the fact that the BRR is a small group of dedicated members. I do not want to be any part of something like the WDCR Solo. The old Rally members were great and a lot of fun to run with. Back then they were a small and dedicated group too. Our solo program is much better than it was back in the early 2000's. Sometimes we would only get 3 runs, and be there till 4-5 after clean up. That is the reason I got out back then.
As far as the rallycross, I just want to do it again. It will not be with BRR and that is OK, but if anyone wants to come if I have an open seat lets go.
I'd love to try rally but don't have a car capable or set up for that
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
rx71985

Post by rx71985 »

Steffen
As soon as I get another Rallycross car put together, You are more than welcome to come drive it. Might be a little awhile, but it will happen.
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

rx71985 wrote:Steffen
As soon as I get another Rallycross car put together, You are more than welcome to come drive it. Might be a little awhile, but it will happen.
Don't threaten me with a good time
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra