Classing for 2015

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Would you be in favor of indexing classes to base class type?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Yes, I would be interested in combining all classes in my group.(All Street classes together)
33%
No, I want to run my class separate from other classes. (like last year)
67%

Total votes: 15

tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: fiero

Classing for 2015

Post by tehmaxfactr »

We had lightly touched on it in another thread and there wasn't very much response on the subject. There had been a suggestion to run the base groups together. So, what this means is, If I run in CSP I would run against every car in Street Prepared not just the cars in CSP. So the class listing would be as follows. We could also get rid of a few other classes if we combined this many classes together.

Street= HS,GS,FS,ES,DS,CS,BS,AS,SS,SSR
Street Touring= STF,STS,STX,STR,STU
Street Prepared= FSP,DSP,CSP,BSP,ASP,SSP
Prepared= XP,BP,CP,DP,EP,FP
Street Modified=SMF,SM,SSM
Mod=AM,BM,CM,DM,EM,FM,FSAE,KM
Junior=JA,JB,JC
CAM= C,T,S
We will still keep Novice class as well.
(if you see a class I missed let me know.)

Cons of creating a class setup such as this would be, we would give out less class winning trophies and trophies at the events. Everyone would run off an index class. Making work\run orders might be a little more painful.

Pros would be making a more competitive field to race in. decreased money on overall trophies given, including year ending.
Last edited by tehmaxfactr on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
88 Fiero Formula T-Tops (1 of 1252) BSP
87 Fiero GT swapped with a turbo 3.5 SSM
90 Miata Supercharged SSM
01 Mustang GT ESP
96 Plymoth Neon (prospective chump car)
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: Classing for 2015

Post by Scott »

I like the idea for the trophies during each event, however, I think we should keep the separate classes points for the year end awards.
BFisch06
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Chevrolet

Post by BFisch06 »

I would include a novice class. Getting a trophy at your first event (or 3) is a great way to get people hooked and coming back out to run with us again.
Solo #83: 2017 Chevrolet Volt
I'll drive anything made by GM. Yes, there's something wrong with me.
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Yea, definitely forgot about Novice class. That would be in as well. I will edit the original post.
01 Mustang GT ESP
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Post by hklvette »

PAX class and Ladies class?
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I had forgotten ladies. With this many people going into single classes I wouldnt really see a need for pax, but thats just me.
01 Mustang GT ESP
mrtwo
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by mrtwo »

Might want to think about how the run groups would be arranged so each "pax" group has equivalent chances of sun/rain/snow
Tim R
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

One other thing: its a little late to implement this class structure this year, as I think it would take an overhaul of the timing software's class structure to support it. I don't want that to be a problem this close to the beginning of the season.

Overall, I like the idea. I would suggest that classes be allowed to "break out" of the grouped classes if they meet an arbitrary participation number.
-Henry Lehmann

hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

Definitely worth further discussion, but I agree, tough to make the change with the first event one week away.

Tim
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

hklvette wrote:One other thing: its a little late to implement this class structure this year, as I think it would take an overhaul of the timing software's class structure to support it. I don't want that to be a problem this close to the beginning of the season.

Overall, I like the idea. I would suggest that classes be allowed to "break out" of the grouped classes if they meet an arbitrary participation number.
I bet it would be easy. Just a matter of grouping and sorting results when printing a final report. Nothing upstream of that changes. Glen?

Oh, and for the record, I don't like the idea. I'm not a fan of "calculator racing". When I proposed this in the other thread, I thought is was taking calculator racing to an absurd level and hoped others might see it that way.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
yenko66
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by yenko66 »

I really don't like this idea... This means on a tight course My ESP Corvair would be in a class with a CSP Miata's... Not a chance for a big car to win. The classes that SCCA has provided us with are designed to keep like cars running against like cars Like ti is supposed to be..

David C
Be A Swinger in a Stinger.
diggles240
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Nissan

Post by diggles240 »

^ I agree

I vote 'NO' [the poll will not allow me to vote on all Browsers]
Kevin
1996 Nissan 240sx SE two-pedal torture
#86 HS|SM
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

About PAX class: If I (in STU) want to compete on index with people in other class groups (*SP, *M, etc), that's the only means to do so outside of the overall finishing order.

About lumping classes together on index: I compete in an indexed class, so clearly I don't mind "calculator" racing. That said, I have to ask: "what problem is this trying to fix?" If its to reduce the number of "participation" trophies at events to save cost, we could simply have a minimum participation level for a class to be eligible to receive trophies. If we need to have a rule that states: "For a class to be eligible for a championship trophy, there must be X participants who are eligible to receive a trophy for the class." The intent would be to eliminate the "championship of one" trophies.

I have no strong preference either way, but I do like the PAX class.
-Henry Lehmann

tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by tehmaxfactr »

hklvette wrote: About lumping classes together on index: I compete in an indexed class, so clearly I don't mind "calculator" racing. That said, I have to ask: "what problem is this trying to fix?" If its to reduce the number of "participation" trophies at events to save cost, we could simply have a minimum participation level for a class to be eligible to receive trophies. If we need to have a rule that states: "For a class to be eligible for a championship trophy, there must be X participants who are eligible to receive a trophy for the class." The intent would be to eliminate the "championship of one" trophies.
That might be a better solution.
01 Mustang GT ESP
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

Oh one other thing: I've noticed that some regions allow novices to stay in novice class through an entire season if they wish, and have a championship trophy available at the end of the year for it. I like this idea, because a complaint that I have heard and can understand is that winning novice class at a single event is not a good indicator of someone's "aptitude". It is only an indication that they were the best on that particular day compared to everyone else in novice.

In this example, to "graduate" from novice class you have three options:
1) win the class championship for the season
2) win X consecutive events in a row at any time
3) voluntarily withdraw from the class.
-Henry Lehmann

gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

hklvette wrote:Oh one other thing: I've noticed that some regions allow novices to stay in novice class through an entire season if they wish, and have a championship trophy available at the end of the year for it. I like this idea, because a complaint that I have heard and can understand is that winning novice class at a single event is not a good indicator of someone's "aptitude". It is only an indication that they were the best on that particular day compared to everyone else in novice.

In this example, to "graduate" from novice class you have three options:
1) win the class championship for the season
2) win X consecutive events in a row at any time
3) voluntarily withdraw from the class.
I think this may be a good idea. I have always thought is was a little harsh to force someone out of novice class just because they have won an event. I don't think an entire season as a novice is unreasonable.
Alan G.
'91 Mariner Blue Miata (314 STS)
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I vote yes for this. Seems reasonable and seems to work out for other clubs I run with.
There are a few other things they do in Novice group that may help them. They allow instructor runs during the regular runs if they are really lost or way off pace. Also they gives everyone in Novice group 1 more run than everyone else gets so they can get more experience in there first few events.
01 Mustang GT ESP
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

This is just my opinion, but I fall into that category. As for each event "cone" awards, not my fault if no other competitor is in my class, but I am also OK with not receiving a "cone" award at each event because I have been doing this for years; but new comers, I would imagine, like to get the award. As long as this idea doesn't affect year end awards, I am ok with whatever the board decides. We have discussed this before at the board meetings and the final outcome was to leave the system as is; it appears it should be discussed again.

As for novice class, I agree to have a novice class for the full year, but we need to make sure that we make it known that the novice MUST compete in the minimum number of events, as required in the by-laws, to be eligible for a year end trophy.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10