looking for front tires for auto-x duty

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Tire Choice

Dunlop
50%
Sumitumo
No votes
Yokohama
50%

Total votes: 2

hklvette
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: BumminRides

looking for front tires for auto-x duty

Post by hklvette »

Hi all,

After the first points event on new rubber, I decided that I should start looking for a pair of auto-x only tires to save wear on my street tires. to that end, I have three semi-sticky choices in the correct size (235/55/17):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... rt+Maxx+TT
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... =HTR+Z+III
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... DVAN+Sport

The yoko's have the lowest TW rating of the three, but I don't know if that means that it will actually provide more traction than the other options.

What say ye?

edit to add: To add insult to my injury, the GP's factory wheels are 6.5" wide.
Last edited by hklvette on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
drum3
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: looking for front tires for auto-x duty

Post by drum3 »

Do you want actual DD tires or Autox tires ? Neither of those fall into the Competition range , but putting just competition tires on the front will make the rear uncontrollable . I would also try to find a 45 or 50 series to reduce some of the tire roll . you should also plan on running 42-45lbs in the front to reduce rollover . Of the 3 you chose , I would go with the Cheapest , if you want true autocross street tires look for Hankook RS3 , Bridgestone RE11 or the Dunlop Direzza Start Spec , all are extremely grippy but last very well.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
fordmax
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by fordmax »

I am currently running the Sumi HTR's on the street (hey they were cheap), and I can tell you that they are not auto-x tires. The breakaway is so abrupt that you will be backwards before you see it coming.
Last edited by fordmax on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Northen
DSP #337 GTI
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

fordmax wrote:I am currently running the Sumi HTR's and I can tell you that they are not auto-x tires. The breakaway is so abrupt that you will be backwards before you see it coming.
That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I know that none of my options are desirable, but given my equipment constraints they're the best that I have.
-Henry Lehmann

fordmax
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by fordmax »

Oh and by the way, totally agree with the tire listed above. I ran the star specs thru the last summer and they are awesome both on the street and around cones...especially with a heavier car. Why couldn't you go to a shorter sidewall tire...like a 45 series? Pretty sure the ones I ran were 235/45/17.
Ford Northen
DSP #337 GTI
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

fordmax wrote:Oh and by the way, totally agree with the tire listed above. I ran the star specs thru the last summer and they are awesome both on the street and around cones...especially with a heavier car. Why couldn't you go to a shorter sidewall tire...like a 45 series? Pretty sure the ones I ran were 235/45/17.
The GP's ABS is already a pain as it is, so I'm not sure it would play nice with short tires up front and tall in the rear. If I could rewind and purchase a set of tires again, I'd have gone shorter.
-Henry Lehmann

Dwomp24
Competition Car: Subaru

Post by Dwomp24 »

I would go with a 245 40 17 that is what i run on the sti and you seemed to be in that size range. The StarSpecs are the best bang for the buck if you ask me. but if your in stock class i would really go with some A6 hoosiers if ya really want to have fun :lol:
-David Wampler
Class: STU

Sponsors:
IAG Performance
EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL
OS GIKEN
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the sumi's. I don't expect them to stick like R-comps or Star Specs and the like, but it will spare my DD tires from punishment, which is what I really want. If I get the wheels to mount them on in time, we'll see how they do at Salem.
-Henry Lehmann

drum3
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by drum3 »

What pressures are you running up front ? My guess is with your car and a tall sidewall , you should be around 48-50lbs . I'm also guessing that being fairly new to autocross , you are driving too hard into the corners and turning the steering wheel too much causing the tire to roll under . Too low pressures and too aggressive drivers are the usual culprits of tire abuse . I ran a set of Kumho SPT Street tires for 6 years , well over 200 runs , then put them on my Daily Driver and ran them another year , never tore the edges up but always ran 40-42lbs in the front and my car only weighs about 2300lbs.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline