Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Rolex 24

Post by glenthompson »

Anybody planning to attend the Rolex 24 at Daytona? It's the weekend before the annual SEDiv meeting at Jekyll Island so I was thinking about making it a week long vacation.

If I go, I would be in my RV. Any suggestions as to the best place to camp? All the trackside RV spots are pricey. The area outside turn 4 and the midfield tent camping are the only reasonable spots.

What is the schedule for the weekend? Their website has nothing about what takes place each day. What's the preferred arrival day?
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Re: Rolex 24

Post by LynnCombs »

Eric and Todd have good information on Daytona. I may go down this year and work turn 5 with Eric and the NC region.
Lynn Combs
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

The RV area outside of Nascar turn 1 is a good spot, you can walk into the track from there or ride the shuttle. Turn 1 is the Rolex turn 6 where they come out of the infield.

There are no support races, there are 2 race groups, the 24 race for Prototypes and GT cars, and a 3 or 6 hour race for the ST cars. There is practice and qualifying on Thursday and more practice and qualifying on Friday, with the ST race Friday afternoon. The 24 hour race started on Saturday at 3:30 pm last year, and at 1:30 pm the year before.
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

shayna and i are looking at possibly going to daytona for the 24. though part of it depends on how one of the local mazda groups arranges things
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

The RV area outside of Nascar turn 1 is a good spot
If you're referring to the West Lot RV parking on the following map, their website doesn't shaow that as active camping for the 24. If it's available, it would be a better place.
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway ... y-Map.aspx
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

The West lot is what I am talking about. It would be the two smaller parts of the lot, the one with the tree in the diagram and the one next to it. There are also camping spots inside the track in the Yellow camping section by turn 1, that is where we had setup the tent for the past two years.