Car suggestions

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

brokenplastic

Car suggestions

Post by brokenplastic »

So I'm considering getting rid of the VW. I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement.
These are the criteria:
around 10k
4 doors or hatch
awd or rwd
good aftermarket support
no cheesy interiors

My thoughts are
E36 M3
and thats all I have so far
Chiketkd
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Re: Car suggestions

Post by Chiketkd »

Scott,

Will you be buying this car outright (i.e. cash) or will you need a loan from a bank? If you need a loan, then the newer the car the better. A couple of suggestions:

5spd Lexus IS300
Mazdaspeed Protege
Impreza 2.5RS
'02-'03 Subaru WRX
Chike D.
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

Around 50 cash/50 loan.
As for the cars the early WRX scares the crap out of me, 2.5rs sin cajones, MSP aren't bad cars, and I haven't checked on IS300s.
Research time.
Last edited by brokenplastic on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

Those early WRXs aren't too bad. They are unmolested ones out there - it could just take a little more time to find one. They're great for STX.
Chike D.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

FWIW, one other option might be considering getting two cars for 10K. One could be a fuel sipping daily driver (e.g. used Ford Focus), while the other could be a 3-4K mazda miata.

Miatas are just the epitome of an autocross car. An older miata ('90-'94) could be competitive in many classes depending on the mods you'd like to do - ES, STS2, CSP, SM2, XP, etc.
Chike D.
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by DLingenfelter »

Chiketkd wrote:Miatas are just the epitome of an autocross car.
These things he sayeth are true. Of course I'm slightly biased :wink:
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

I already have a daily beater, a 94 Saturn SL2. I guess I could get a vert as the fun car. Have AP1 S2000 prices bottomed out yet? The one thing that bothers me about miatas is that they are so slow without FI (straightline, getting through traffic.)
Last edited by brokenplastic on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

brokenplastic wrote:I already have a daily beater, a 94 Sasturn SL2. I guess I could get a vert as the fun car. Have AP1 S2000 prices bottomed out yet? The one thing that bothers me about miatas is that they are so slow without FI (straightline, getting through traffic.)
An AP1 S2000 definitely could be had for 10K or less. They're great autocross cars as well and much faster than a miata.

Miatas are just cheap to own, cheap to modify, cheap to race.
Chike D.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

Out of those options - my 1st choice would be the M3, followed closely by the '99 miata. 8)
Chike D.
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

GTO , any BMW 3 series you can upgrade a regular 3 series to just about as good as an M for 1/3 less money .
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

Hrm...GTO's are awesome so if power is your desire, get'em while their cheap! God knows I want one as the family hauler/daily driver/thing I can put a big "Lingenfelter" decal on.

but...
That Miata has a lot of good toys that could save you money down the road. I just put in a Harddog Hardcore Rollbar and my recommendation: buy a miata that already has it installed, its a Pain in the ARSe!! He's also selling you the hardtop, extra LSD, and the wheels are good as well. Thing would make a great track and autocross car if you got the track bug later. Only thing I don't like on it are the Racing Beat Springs (not stiff enough) and AGX's (mine haven't worked out well, rears are blown). That miata is a lot of "toy" per dollar.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

All the GTOs I've seen are out of my range. Right now I'm working on something that might allow me to put more money in the pot. Car is also for sale in the forums. I've been scouring craigslist, autotrader, trading papers, and ebay but only a couple cars have caught my interest. And I haven't even driven any similiar models.
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

'90 Miata, be sure you read up about the short nosed crank issue. That being said my '90 is also a short nosed crank car and it's not exactly babied.....

I would find a stock NA and go from there. I bought a Miata that was all ready set up, because it thought it would be cheaper in the long run, but then I have changed everything on it since then......
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

This car I can vouch for being 95% ready for national competition. Worth much more than the asking price.You can reach him thru me or Auto-x.com/forums
F/S: 1992 Miata STS2 Prepped 90K Miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1992 Base Model Miata (long nose crank)
Just shy of 90K miles
The car was a garage queen before I bought it March 2007. Base model with dealer-added A/C as only option (which we removed back to the firewall).
This car weighed 2083lbs the last time it was on National's scales.

Maintenance that I know of:
New timing belt and water pump at 80K miles (by PO)
New Clutch February '08
Mobil 1 oil changes every 3 months
NGK plugs and wires

Mods (that I remember)

Koni Race Shocks
NB Miata Rear Shock Mounts
Front and Rear Springs (700/450) (one set is H&R, the other Skunk but I can't remember which is which) Both 6" 2.5" dia
Ebay Coilovers
RB Hollow with the STS2 legal blocks
RB adjustable end links
VLSD that actually works!
Goodwin Roadster Sport Race 3? (I think that's the name) 2-piece Catback (there's a bit of orange overspray on the muffler )
Spec Miata CAI w/ filter
Momo Start Seat
Hawk HPS rear brake pads
STS2 performance alignment

Parts not on the car:
OBX Underdrive Crank Pulley
A/C unit (everything back to the firewall)
Falken Hanabi wheels w/ 250 run RE-01R's (the street wheels are stock 14" enkei wheels with almost new Falken Ziex 912's)
I can throw in all the stock parts we removed (driver's seat, suspension, etc.)

The only issue I know of with this car is that the cloth top has a couple of rips around the zipper in the window. The window is getting cloudy, but doesn't leak.

I believe that's all, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Asking $5200 OBO for the whole package above. You're ready to go racing out of the gate, and don't forget the sharp custom paint job.

Edit: Will also entertain trades + cash for other fun good gas mileage DD's.

This car was driven to a second place finish in TSCC PRO class this year and was consistently Top 10 in PAX. I consistently finished mid-pack in STS2 in heavily contested National events in 2008.

This car is just a bit more weight reduction and some ECU tuning away from being a Nationals contender. I have loads of people that will vouch for it.

It's a TON of fun and a great gas mileage saving daily driver (~30mpg). I'll hate to see it go, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a family of 3 now. PM me for questions or details if interested.

Sorry for the small pic, but it shows the Hanabi wheels included above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

It seems I need to con my way into a miata codrive to see what I'm missing.
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Beamer

Post by IamRascal »

I think you'll be pleasently surprised with a miata. If i could sell my sunfire I'd be all over the miata Anthony just posted.
- Chris
98 M3/4/5 Child Transport and Course runner
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

That miata seems like a decent buy. Right now I'm contemplating overtiring the GTi. Any one have a 245/40/17 laying around?
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by mseal »

If you haven't "jumped" by the June event you're welcome to drive the CSP! I won't be able to make the Motor Mile event.

Mick Seal

brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

I will probobly take you up on that offer.