Event attendance

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

What was the main reason for not attending more events this year?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:54 am

Schedule conflict with another event.
50%
Other schedule conflict (family, school, etc.)
30%
Gas prices
5%
Increased costs for non-members
No votes
Other reasons - please tell us
15%

Total votes: 20

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Event attendance

Post by glenthompson »

Event attendance has been down significantly this year. What is the primary reason for not attending our Solo events?
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Events constantly conflict with national events...not a great thing for me :?
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

Scheduling conflicts with other local / regional clubs have hurt too, especially with Triad, SWVR. I also think we might be reaching a saturation point for events in Danville with BRR, Triad, Tarheel, and maybe others using that site. I also think the lack of a site in the Lynchburg area is hurting us.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
redfiero
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by redfiero »

For me, family/home conflicts seem to be highest factor, but second would be travel distance. I usually attend the events if within an hour drive of Roanoke (Salem and Verona), but longer drives make the event less appealing. The time away from home, combined with the worry of the car breaking down on the highway make me think twice about attending. I also look at weather. If it is too hot or rainy, I make a last minute decision. Using all this logic, I usually end up with more negatives than positives. That all being said, I do enjoy the events and making new friends; so when my son gets older and I get a trailer, I am sure I could attend more.

Matt Miller
85 Fiero SM2
gtfour77
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by gtfour77 »

Both SWVR and Steel Cities in Pa have been down on attendance. (I'd say by about 35-45% Lot of it has to do with conflits and gas prices unfortunatelly... I know some people that tow their cars have been very selective about events. Also the past couple of months have been unusually rainy so that didn't help.
SWVR members will be back on June 29th and Commonwealth games in July... I know 31 drivers at the last event is very, very unusual. we have been down to the low to mid 20's in our region past few events.
Marteen V.
Toyota MR2 #35/135 SSM
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

For us it was strictly other event conflicts, Triads and then DoubleCross. Their were 21 Triad members at DoubleCross and several CCR and Tarheel members that would have attended the Danville event had it not been for the conflict.
Triad is down about 15-20% on attendance , 2 of our event dates the forcast was for showers and this past weekend 100 degree heat. I think so far thats about par for events with those forcast , the diehards show but the fairweather autocrossers skip out.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer
Competition Car: Honda

Post by SierraFox »

Unforeseen events is what caused me to miss an event or I simiply didnt have the car ready.

Hopefully gas prices wont continue to sky rocket or that may have a influence on me finishing the season.

As of right I plan on being as the rest of the points events.
rschumin wrote: I also think the lack of a site in the Lynchburg area is hurting us.
I dont know if that is true or not. I know Lynchburg is about 2 hours from the NRV area just as Danville and Verona are.
Shawn - SM #5 - 2000 Honda Civic Si (FBP)
Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
1978 EB3 Honda Civic 1200 (yes it runs!) | 2000 Civic Si | 2007 Civic EX
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

00GTJustin wrote:Events constantly conflict with national events...not a great thing for me :?
+1
Chike D.
Kevin Venhorst

Post by Kevin Venhorst »

Lack of time has prolonged my car's heart transplant. Plus my last event at Verona resulted in a small fire (no damage). Also most of my race funds have gone into the car. I guess its a rebuilding year for me.
Kevin
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

I voted "Gas Prices" but really its that prices on everything have gone up and my pay at work hasn't really. Distribution centers dont do much distributing if nobody's buying anything. Autocrossing is a luxury/leisure item and as prices on everything else go through the roof it gets harder to justify setting money aside for it.
The Blue Ridge Region does a great job at putting on events where it can, it's just that to me, and some others, we're falling on hard times.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
SCCA MX5
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Miata

Post by SCCA MX5 »

for me, its because bringing the wagon isnt nearly as fun as saving that money and getting the RX-7 Running (which it is now)

I will be up there on the 29th I think... hopefully the RX will hold together!!!

(on a side note, can anyone tell me what class its actually going to run?!? Is it EMod? 84 RX-7 with a Chevy 5.0 305 V8... no mods other than the swap)
Brock Clayton
92 Miata - Turbo
93 Miata LE #466/1500
83 RX7 (in theory)
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

SCCA MX5 wrote:(on a side note, can anyone tell me what class its actually going to run?!? Is it EMod? 84 RX-7 with a Chevy 5.0 305 V8... no mods other than the swap)
Welcome to XP.
Chike D.
Imprezivblue
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by Imprezivblue »

Living in Danville, Triad's events are closer for me. That being said almost every one of their events has conflicted on a weekend with BRR events. My codriver's from Greensboro and also attends Triad events. In addition, there are some weekends i'm doing national events, in MD visiting my boyfriend, or working. Has not been a good year for BRR events.
My Boxer4racing.com Project Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS[/URL]