Post by LynnCombs »

Read all about it in Inside Line
Lynn Combs
hemitud
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

Am I the only one that thinks this is going to kill weekend racers that aren't quite so serious as the seasoned guys?

I will register for next year, but a lot of the guys that come to our events are weekend, once in a while types and asking them for another $15 seems like it will hurt the usual good turn out we have.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

no plugs wrote:I will register for next year, but a lot of the guys that come to our events are weekend, once in a while types and asking them for another $15 seems like it will hurt the usual good turn out we have.
That's my fear as well.

Hopefully, it will get some people to take the plunge and become a full SCCA member and compete with us regularly - but for the college student who wants to try autocross for the 1st time, it may keep him/her away due to cost.
Chike D.
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by Scott »

no plugs wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is going to kill weekend racers that aren't quite so serious as the seasoned guys?

I agree, this is going to cause major issues with the number of people coming out, this will deter people from coming out to try autocross for the first time
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by DLingenfelter »

no plugs wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is going to kill weekend racers that aren't quite so serious as the seasoned guys?

I will register for next year, but a lot of the guys that come to our events are weekend, once in a while types and asking them for another $15 seems like it will hurt the usual good turn out we have.
A lot of people "try" autocrossing because it's cheap fun (it's why I "tried" it), but it looks like that's changing. Our attendence levels aren't what they used to be, and next year it looks like it will be even lower. The $5 increase every year is already getting old to non-members, but $15 in a single year? I dunno.
"Weekend SCCA Membership"? From an insurance standpoint it probably sounds like a good idea but it just sounds silly to me.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

I would rather see a $2.00 insurance fee (Random number) per event than requiring a person to be a member in order to compete. It's almost like requiring you to be in a bowling league before you can use the lanes. Looking back, I doubt I would ever have tried Autocross if it costs $50 plus to compete, after all, thats a weekend pass to Kings Dominion.....
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

The $15 for a weekend membership is only a recommendation from national. We haven't decided on our fee structure for next year. It will most likely be only a $5 or $10 premium over the member price.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
DSPDA3
Admin
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

no plugs wrote:...Looking back, I doubt I would ever have tried Autocross if it costs $50 plus to compete, after all, thats a weekend pass to Kings Dominion.....
This coming from the person who doesn't like rollercoasters. Cmon now... 8)
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by LynnCombs »

I think the additional paper work at registration will encourage people to become members so they do not have to fill an application at every Solo event.
Lynn Combs
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

Does it matter when you sign up or is it just 12 months from whatever date? I am looking to sign up, but should I do it through the club or directly through SCCA?
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

12 months from the start date. Helps to pick a date when it's convenient to renew. If you get a competition license that requires a medical, the physical form is due at the same time.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI