what class will I be in?

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Is this a good set up

yes
No votes
no
No votes
good to start out with
100%

Total votes: 1

rx grip

what class will I be in?

Post by rx grip »

I’m new to the board and autocross so…. I plan on starting autocrossing by next month, and I have built a car but I’m not sure what class I’m in.

I have a 89 rx7 convertible with..

Racing beat header
Bonez high flow catalytic converter
Racing beat y pipe + mufflers
Mazdatrix strut tower brace with torque brace
Bonez streat comp intake
KYB AGX gas adjust shocks/struts all around
BF Goodrich traction t/a all around

Plan on having \/ by the time I start

racing beat sway bar(with polly bushing mounts.)
mazdatrix adjustable endlink for the sway bar
polly bushings to replace all my links up front

so if any one could help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tad Murphy

-also how are the BF t/a for auto cross? Any one ever use them?
Chiketkd
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

Based on your header mods (and no mention of a downpipe) I imagine your RX-7 is a non-turbo???

Looking at the '06 SCCA rule book, based on your header & intake mods, if your car is a non-turbo RX-7, you should be in STS2. This class will allow mods from the exhaust manifold back, along with intake mods up to the throttle bodies. You can also run any shock/strut & spring combo with any aftermarket camber bolts (as long as they use the factory mounting points). This will also be the class you'd want to aim to be in since the tires you mentioned are summer tires and not r-compounds.
Chike D.
rx grip

Post by rx grip »

Yes, sorry for not mentioning that it is n/a. I'm use to being on the rx7club forum. A turbo rx7 convertible is just about impossible to find unless it was modified.

-thanks for the help, I was also wondering if the sts2 class is a tough class to compete in our region for beginners?
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

rx grip wrote:-thanks for the help, I was also wondering if the sts2 class is a tough class to compete in our region for beginners?
The miatas are in that class and are tough to beat. Fine tune your set-up as the season goes on and you should be fine. Those older n/a RX-7's are super lightweight.
Chike D.
rx grip

Post by rx grip »

what is your opinion on light because mine roles in aroung 3,485lbs stock according to the manual.

_how many mx-5s are at an auto-x on average?
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

rx grip wrote:what is your opinion on light because mine roles in aroung 3,485lbs stock according to the manual.

_how many mx-5s are at an auto-x on average?
That weight from your manual (or the kick panel on your door) is GVW which will include a full load of gas, passengers and luggage. No RX-7 weighs that much - I think the '89 models weighed around 2,600-2,700lbs.
Chike D.
rx grip

Post by rx grip »

Ok, that sounds a little more reasonable, I thought that 3,***lbs sounded a little heavy, but yah I didn’t look on my panel.

-I have been talking to people on the rx7 club and i have had some one say I’m in sts2, and some one said due to my cat I’m in stx. But not today some on jumps in and says that I’m in sm2. So with one is it???
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

I say STS2. Changing cat is legal in STS2 as long as it remains in same place and meets EPA requirements.

CSP would also be an option.

As to the setup, the driver is the most important part. Check out some of our results and compare the winning times in the stock classes to the times in respective SP and ST classes. At Mercer in April, Steve St John was faster in DS than all the ESP cars. The 1st & 2nd Miatas in ES were faster than 3/4 of the CSP field. If it comes down to buying an add-on or getting seat time, go for the seat time.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer
Competition Car: Honda

Post by SierraFox »

I beleive his engine torque damper puts him in STX dosent it? Im asuming that is the torque brace.
Shawn - SM #5 - 2000 Honda Civic Si (FBP)
Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
1978 EB3 Honda Civic 1200 (yes it runs!) | 2000 Civic Si | 2007 Civic EX
914geezer
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by 914geezer »

rx, all classes will be tough for a beginner to be competitive. Like most sports it takes some reps to develop the skills. As Glen says the driver is by far the most important factor regardless of the car, class or prep. As they say, "Just do it!" and have some fun.
DSPDA3
Admin
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

The high flow cat does bump you to STX. There's no mention of this in the rules for STS or STS2. It only mentions that you can change the exhaust manifolds and headers, which have to be emissions legal. This doesn't allow relocation of the catalytic converter however. It doesn't mention anything about replacing the cat. Thus you can't do it.

The only question I have is the strut brace, with the 'torque brace'. If this strut brace has an attachment point bolting to the firewall, then you go to SM2. If not, STX is your playground.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

dang, I was hoping for another STS2 entry
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

I thought replacement of the cat was legal in stock,as long as it went back in the stock location??
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

You can replace the cat, just not with a high flow unit. It has to be OEM.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

More specifically, if the car is less than 5 years old and 50k miles, the cat must be original equipment. After that it can be replaced with an aftermarket unit but must be OEM type. The rules state that high performance models are not allowed.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
rx grip

Post by rx grip »

glenthompson wrote:
More specifically, if the car is less than 5 years old and 50k miles, the cat must be original equipment. After that it can be replaced with an aftermarket unit but must be OEM type. The rules state that high performance models are not allowed.
Is that true with all classes? I’m not sure it is considered a high flow cat or not that is just what i call it. In their words its an "Bönez Performance Main Converter" truthfully by VA law its not legal because its not oem, or in oem location, nor are the headers, but to have fun and a well performing exhaust these things are just necessity.

-so its STX for me is it?

_also i plan on going to the auto-x school the 17th is it, would this be a good idea?

Thanks
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

If it's not in the OEM location, then you go to SM2.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S