Tire and Wheel Recommendations for STS Miata

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Tire and Wheel Recommendations for STS Miata

Post by gnalaj »

Hi folks,
I guess I'm cutting it pretty close getting ready for this year, but I was wondering what size/kind of tires and wheels you are running on your STS Miata, and did it require rolling the fenders?

I am trying to decide if I can afford to go ahead and jump into STS, so any advice you can give on wheels and tires would be greatly appreciated.
Alan G.
'91 Mariner Blue Miata (314 STS)
rschumin
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Re: Tire and Wheel Recommendations for STS Miata

Post by rschumin »

gnalaj wrote:Hi folks,
I guess I'm cutting it pretty close getting ready for this year, but I was wondering what size/kind of tires and wheels you are running on your STS Miata, and did it require rolling the fenders?

I am trying to decide if I can afford to go ahead and jump into STS, so any advice you can give on wheels and tires would be greatly appreciated.
For sure you can get a 205/50X15 on a 7.5 inch rim under there. There might even be room for a 225/45X15. Oh and rolling the fenders is not a big deal. I have the proper tool if you want to borrow it.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by mseal »

I was running 225/45/15 Hoosiers on the CSP miata with no fuss. Did use Ray's roller on the fenders. Car was pretty low. 8" 949 racing wheels.

Mick

00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

You can run REALLY aggressive wheels that are 7.5" wide on an STS miata. The koolaide is the 195 toyo though, which really only needs a 7" wheel anyway. Just buy some springs for those konis and some 7" wide wheels and tires that will last you a season and have fun! Oh, and remove that rear sway bar!
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

Sounds awesome Allen you'll do great in STS!

The hot tip is 15x7's with a 195-50 R1R which will get you about 80 good runs total over the season. At run 60 or so they'll start to get a little shallow for rain so check the weather before driving to events on them. Also they're like a vaccum cleaner for nails and screws (one of mine has a plug/patch and I put less than 1k street miles on them. Invest in a water sprayer too as they HATE heat.

You'll only need to roll fenders if you go with a 30mm or less offset wheel. with the typical 35-40mm offset wheel you'll be pretty safe. I went all mad JDM deep dish and have a 30mm offset so I had to roll my fenders to make room for 205's and even rub a lil in the rear on the sidewalls on the 195 R1R's.

Another good setup might be the Dunlup Z2's but they're pretty new and unproven as of yet. The Z1's were a great longer lasting tire though than the R1R's and in my opinion just as good as they were less tempermental.

As far as the rear bar leave it on when the R1R's are fresh (they're that grippy) and take it off around run 50 or so as the grip falls off. I left mine on all year and the last 20 or so runs were pretty drifto happy.

Hope this all helps Allen.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

Thanks for the great info guys. How much does rolling the fenders affect the lateral stiffness of the sheetmetal? Where do you get your wheels and tires from?
Alan G.
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

Alan...it's a Miata there is no lateral stiffness lol. Key no matter when you roll the fenders (if you do) is to make sure the body panels are warm (sunlight, bright shop lamp) as the metal is much easier to work with and the paint will be less likely to crack (even with painters tape applied if it's cold when you're rolling the paint will chip off).
I got lucky with my Rotas on Ebay and got the set of 4 for 300 bucks as they were clowncar red. Some sandpaper and 3 cans of black + 3 cans of clear later they are black sexyness.

Tires vary with each tire Tirerack being most reliable for fast shipping. I found toyo's cheaper from a place in California that I forgot (my brother knows so I'll ask him again) but it took about two weeks for them to get here. I'd stick with either discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com as either is really trustworthy.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

How much do you guys think the new Dulop Direzza ZII or BFG g-Force Rival are going to shake things up in ST?
Alan G.
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

Just read my GRM and the Z2 is supposedly already a half second faster than the Z1 in the dry and a full second faster in the wet (wouldn't have guessed that looking at the new tread pattern).
It's nice to have BFG back in the game (last time they were relevant in our world was the late 90's and very early 00's).
Dunlop spoiled me with the original Z1 so I'm looking their way whenever I'm able to buy unless BFG comes out with some crazy numbers.
They're all really good in the 15" sizes and you'll drop a second easilly just swapping from 14's to 15's.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

That is what I saw also, and that was on a 30 second course. Do you think either of these would be a better choice than the R1R, or are they too much of an unknown still. I got two seasons out of my Star Specs, and didn't worry about cooling them down (not sure if they would have done any different), and I'm not sure I want to have to do that for the R1Rs. I would like to see more testing, but I am afraid that would be too late for me to get some for the test and tune.
Alan G.
rschumin
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

gnalaj wrote: I would like to see more testing, but I am afraid that would be too late for me to get some for the test and tune.
Ya know, you just can't get caught up in the paralysis of analysis. The R1R's and Star Spec's are a known quantities, the the Rivals are supposed to be the second coming of grip from heaven but nobody knows how they will hold up in "real" competition. You can think about it and then go with your gut. It will be obvious after a short while whether you got it right or not.

My thinking for the S2000 was simple. I got a set of RS-3's rather than the Rivals. I figured my learning curve in setting up the car was going to be steep enough that I didn't need another variable. I had a positive experience with the Hankook's last season. Oh, and that they were $60/tire cheaper than the Rival's didn't hurt either.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

If i was running STS this year I would go with the Dunlops. Based on your experience with the last generation it's one last thing to worry about. As for wheels, go for the cheapest 15x7 you can find. In STS trim I always ran a heavish (for STS)15x7 with a 38mm offset (honestly because I like the way the wheel looked on the car).
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

Scott wrote:If i was running STS this year I would go with the Dunlops. Based on your experience with the last generation it's one last thing to worry about. As for wheels, go for the cheapest 15x7 you can find. In STS trim I always ran a heavish (for STS)15x7 with a 38mm offset (honestly because I like the way the wheel looked on the car).
+1 on this. Get whatever 15x7 is cheap and looks good to you as wheel weight tends to get drowned out by the other variables that make up STS. I'm thinking Dunlop Z2 or the Rival would work well for you. As you tend to drive to and from events the Z2 will be much better since it's much better than the Z1 in the rain according to Tire rack. The R1R's in the 195 size are great but have a short life, attract nails like no magnet ever could and favor strong lateral grip over sharp precision transitions. You tend to be a fast and loose driver who appreciates good predictable feedback (Toyo's don't squeal you just spin) so the Star spec's should link best with your driving style.

...In summary just buy the Z2's and commence with destroying all of us street-miata drivers Alan. :wink:
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

Thanks again for all of the great info. I went with the ZIIs, and they are already here, a socket to fit in the lug recesses should be here this afternoon, and my new magnetic letters should be here by Friday.

See you all Saturday!
Alan G.