RallyCross interest

SCCA Rally and RallyCross, Upcoming rally-style events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

mwalters
Novice
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: NOU1

RallyCross interest

Post by mwalters »

I've been doing RXes with the DC region recently and was wondering if there was any interest locally?

It looks like BRR did an event WAAAY back when, and the DC region used to have a venue out in Orange. I've been toying around the idea of trying to organize at least a pilot event local to the Staunton/Waynesboro/Augusta county area, some time next year.

I'm currently scouting for venues: 5-10 acres of mostly flat and level unpaved land, which the owner wouldn't mind getting torn up :)

Would an RX program be of any interest to the BRR?
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Re: RallyCross interest

Post by Chiketkd »

I have an interest. I should be doing my first RallyX event in about 3 weeks in a friend's FC RX-7 which runs in the M2 class with the DC region.

I don't have a dedicated rallyX car yet, but my friend is always up for a good event and I could always co-drive.
Chike D.
mwalters
Novice

Post by mwalters »

Chiketkd wrote:I have an interest. I should be doing my first RallyX event in about 3 weeks in a friend's FC RX-7 which runs in the M2 class with the DC region.

I don't have a dedicated rallyX car yet, but my friend is always up for a good event and I could always co-drive.
I should be up there running my beater aveo :) . I met Katie and Moxnix (that's his nasioc name, not sure his real name :oops: ) at the driver's school back in september. Glad to hear they've gotten the rx-7 back in working order after the exhaust fell off :lol:

Hope to see you up there, the summit point venue is a blast!
jarabe
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by jarabe »

I am up for it in my stock swift gt :cry:
Juan Carlos Jaramillo
GreenScapesVA.com
Herbalife independent distributor.
F125 CTS/Honda cr125
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

mwalters wrote:I met Katie and Moxnix (that's his nasioc name, not sure his real name :oops: ) at the driver's school back in september. Glad to hear they've gotten the rx-7 back in working order after the exhaust fell off :lol:

Hope to see you up there, the summit point venue is a blast!
Yup, those are my friends...and btw Moxnix's name is Shawn. My current plan is to attend the final WDCR rallyX at Summit Point in mid November. If you're able to make it, be sure to introduce yourself.
Chike D.
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

The BRR RallyX was in April 2001 (or 2002) in Nelson County at the Oak Ridge Farm. The Farm that hosted Camp Jeep for several years. We held the event on one of their fields, and it rained all day. Even in the rain it was a fun event. Their field got torn up bad; part of the event deal was that we would pay for use of the field and to reseed. I called them after the event to have them send us a bill, but we never got one. Not sure the wife liked what we were doing, but the husband did (he came by during the event to visit and talk).

The DC Region hosted an event in Waynesboro in December 2000 at a fair ground off of I64 (gravel lot). I don't remember the name, but you can see it from I64. It is an exit or two west from the main Waynesboro exit (the one with the Ntelos building). The exit has a McDonalds and the road leading to the fair grounds has some truck repair shops.
mwalters
Novice

Post by mwalters »

tac911t wrote:The BRR RallyX was in April 2001 (or 2002) in Nelson County at the Oak Ridge Farm. The Farm that hosted Camp Jeep for several years. We held the event on one of their fields, and it rained all day. Even in the rain it was a fun event. Their field got torn up bad; part of the event deal was that we would pay for use of the field and to reseed. I called them after the event to have them send us a bill, but we never got one. Not sure the wife liked what we were doing, but the husband did (he came by during the event to visit and talk).

The DC Region hosted an event in Waynesboro in December 2000 at a fair ground off of I64 (gravel lot). I don't remember the name, but you can see it from I64. It is an exit or two west from the main Waynesboro exit (the one with the Ntelos building). The exit has a McDonalds and the road leading to the fair grounds has some truck repair shops.
Yeah, I was aware of the trouble you had at Oak Ridge, unfortunately I don't think that type of situation is too uncommon. WDCR used to use Oakland Acres out in Orange, Va, but they apparently had a falling out with the land owner. I'm still looking to find the land owner's contact info, maybe a new face would prompt a change of heart :?:

The fairgrounds you're talking about is Augusta Expoland, definitely on my very short list at the moment. While fairgrounds are probably close perfect as far as layout and space, I'm curious to see their effect on budget :lol: . I haven't been there in a while, but I need to head up to the Rockingham county fairgrounds and see if they might have anything we could use.

If anyone else has any leads on venues, please let me know via this thread.
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

A hybrid event might be possible at Verona. There's a large grass/gravel field next to the lot we use. Start and finish on pavement and do most of it on the grass.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
mwalters
Novice

Post by mwalters »

glenthompson wrote:A hybrid event might be possible at Verona. There's a large grass/gravel field next to the lot we use. Start and finish on pavement and do most of it on the grass.
Yeah I checked out the government center a couple weeks ago. I've never done a mixed surface event, and it sounds like a blast, but my only concern is that it might turn off the guys who went out and bought rally tires. Definitely on my list, though!
allmybase

Post by allmybase »

I'd be interested in some rallycross. I've recently been looking into what is offered in other stock regions. I have a stock miata that I would love to use for it (but probably isn't allowed), but I can always pick up something else crappy.
Joseph Banks
mwalters
Novice

Post by mwalters »

Miatas are fine, as long as you have the factory hardtop. There was one run up in WDCR, but I never saw it run myself.

Matt
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by Scott »

mwalters wrote:Miatas are fine, as long as you have the factory hardtop. Matt
Why is that? That rules doesn't makes no sense. The fiberglass top disintegrates upon impact unless there is a roll cage under it and even then pieces go everywhere.
mwalters
Novice

Post by mwalters »

No clue, didn't write it. That's just what it is. RXSS has final say if the car can compete, I'm sure it depends on the venue, but I know at least one Miata that has competed at WDCR.

From the book:
RX Rule book wrote:A RallyCross event is open to any fixed‐roof production based vehicle
(including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa‐types with
factory panel in place, t‐tops with factory panels in place) that can pass
safety inspection. If the Event Chairman after consultation with the Event
Safety Steward determines at his discretion that a vehicle cannot safely
negotiate the course, it may be excluded.
Scott wrote:
mwalters wrote:Miatas are fine, as long as you have the factory hardtop. Matt
Why is that? That rules doesn't makes no sense. The fiberglass top disintegrates upon impact unless there is a roll cage under it and even then pieces go everywhere.
toyotechwv
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by toyotechwv »

I'd be interested. I would buy a car just to compete.
Paul Sexton
Master Diagnostic Technician at L&S Toyota of Beckley
2015 Toyota Prius......Use "The Force" young Padawan...Electromotive Force
Letze
Competition Car: Miata

Post by Letze »

Interesting choice of words!, I have a potential candidate for sale! :P
Chason
NB2 Miata Base