Thinking about trying RallyCross

SCCA Rally and RallyCross, Upcoming rally-style events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Chiketkd
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Thinking about trying RallyCross

Post by Chiketkd »

I'm thinking of trying a few rallycross events later this year/next year in the Stock FWD class. My wife's current daily driver has been paid off for over two years, and we'll be buying a new vehicle for her later this Summer/Fall.

This is what I'll be working with - a 5spd 2002 Lancer ES with 150K miles on the odometer (which we bought new 7 years ago):
Lancer.jpg
Lancer.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
The car has a new OEM clutch, new brake pads and rotors. The stock wheels are 14x6" and came from the factory with 185/65/14 stock tires. She's been reliable to a fault and could take me to and from events while getting 35mpg's on the highway.

Looking over the 2009 rulebook, upgrades allowed in this class are minimal, and I'm thinking of the following:
  • Light-weight catback exhaust (I'll probably use a muffler to keep it quiet for street driving)
  • High flow panel air filter
  • Snow tires mounted on the stock steelies - unsure of size (go down to 165 or up to a 205????)
  • Non-adjustable KYB GR2 struts
  • Front swaybar???? (go bigger or smaller - what's better for RallyX???)
  • Engine & transaxle protector plate
This list of mods can be done for <1K. I really don't care if the car is competitive, I just want to have fun with and kick up some dirt! :lol: I can't do anything until we buy the replacement, and the car may not be ready until this winter.

My current autocross co-driver from the DC region acquired a Saturn to run in this class and I have an open invitation to co-drive with him at a couple DC region rallycross events at Summit Point this year (hope to get some initial seat time this way).

I'm open to thoughts/suggestions...
Chike D.
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Re: Thinking about trying RallyCross

Post by tac911t »

I drove two RallyX's, one in Waynesboro hosted by WDC, and one BRR hosted at Oak Ridge in Nelson Co in 2001 or 2002.
The BRR RallyX was in the rain, on an April day that saw flooding in Lynchburg and farther south. Even though Oak Ridge hosts Camp Jeep, and lets Jeep clubs use their trails, they were unsure of what we wanted, and what we were going to do. They were displeased with our use of their field, and how we tore it up. We offered up front to pay for reseeding, but they never sent us a bill, even though I called after the event to touch base and have them send a bill.

RallyX will take a different driving style. Traction is non-existant, expecially when turning, try setting the car up for oversteer. It may have been something I would have spent more time with, but the events where few, and long drives.
Spent more time and money with road racing.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

Todd,

I definitely know I'll have longer drives with RallyX. I'm a dual BRR/WDCR member, and the DC region still hosts rallycross events at Summit Point. They're also a few held in NC that are posted on this board from time to time that I may try.

I just want to do a few events and see how things go. I'm actually excited about the prospect of little-to-no grip in turns. I'm itching for a change of scenery next season - so I may just co-drive an ST* car in solo and spend the rest of my time playing in dirt! Should be a blast!

P.S. The road racing bug hasn't bitten me yet, but when it does, I'll probably try "Spec Pinata"!!! :lol:
Chike D.
Chiketkd
Veteran

Post by Chiketkd »

Talked to a rallycrosser with the DC region this past weekend and got a lot of great info. He gave me lead to a source for pre-cut skid plates for lancer and impreza models. Seems like Firestone Winterforce tires are reasonably priced and exceptional in the dirt/mud. So the plan is coming together. Should be able to get the car in fighting shape with just $700-$800.
Chike D.