Daytona or bust- Runoff's 2015

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Daytona or bust- Runoff's 2015

Post by aged racer »

I’m heading for Daytona late this week for the Runoff’s, having qualified in Touring 4.

I had to run the alternate path to qualify (SECS), as the car wasn’t ready for most of the SEDiv Majors schedule. I did get to run the VIR Majors, but other than that “qualifying” has been mainly showing up at SECS weekends. That was good for shake down and development of the new build, though the MX5 is not a Daytona car. But, you run with what you have (and the build was a multi-year strategy- Mid Ohio is coming!)

The T4 race will be the 3rd one on the schedule, running Friday at about 11:00AM. There’s no TV but all the races will be broadcast live on the web, which you can access from the SCCA website. There are (21) entries in T4, a mix of Mustangs, Camaro’s, Hondas, (4) Mazda’s, and a couple of Z4’s and other rides. Should be a good race (as will most of them), so tune in when you can. (I don’t have any sense of how we will do, but we’ll have some fun no matter what :mrgreen: ).

Also, the Spec Miata race will run under the lights on Friday night, with a total of (63) entries. Must see TV!

If you are there, look me up in Mazda paddock. If not, wish me luck!

Steve
Mazda Contingency 1.png
Mazda Contingency 1.png (53.27 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
Scott
Veteran

Re: Daytona or bust- Runoff's 2015

Post by Scott »

Good luck Steve! Is Speedcast TV once again doing the coverage?
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Sorry Scott, just saw this. I'm told rebroadcasts or webex 's or whatever will be available this week. Hope so.

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Now that we're finally home thought I would report how things went.

Wow.

Runoff’s week was probably the most intense I’ve had in my 30+ years holding a license. Knew the MX5 wasn’t a Daytona car but it had been ten years since my last Runoff’s and it was Daytona so I wanted to be part of it.

Unfortunately I effed up the bus stop chicane on the back straight late in Monday’s session and pancaked the driver’s side of the car in the outside wall. Broke everything underneath and bent the nose substantially. I had lined up Josh Smith from Panic Motorsports to come down later in the week, so he came early with a truckload of used parts and after thrashing on the car for the better part of two days we had on the grid for the late day session on Weds. Josh was the man, but we had a lot of help from our paddock neighbors- special call out to Ess White and Glen Murphy (crewing for Mike Collins/ Meathead Racing), Mike Cottrell, the MazdaSpeed guys, the list is endless. The car aligned perfectly although it looked a sight with a blue nose and about a roll of black duct tape.

It definitely impacted my driving, took me the rest of the week to ditch the tutu and ballet slippers going through the bus stop and get my head on right. My ribs took a big shot in the crash so the RH turns and bus stop had me groaning but eventually I got it going and had a decent race. Started 17th and finished 14th, mediocre by the numbers but think I would have done a little better without the drama. That said, in the end I was happy just to make the show. :mrgreen:

It’s a humbling thing and makes you appreciate what an incredible bunch of people SCCA racers are. I’m gonna hate paying the body shop bill but I’ll never forget the experience.

T4 is going to be a good class, with variety of cars and mfg’s- I like where it’s going. We had 23 entries this year, and expect more for 2016. There’s a lot to balance between all the makes and models. Start/ Finish trap speeds for my car at Daytona averaged 132-133 mph. The winning Civics and RX8’s were about 8-10 mph faster! Next year the Runoff’s moves to Mid Ohio, which should be a much friendlier track for a handling/ momentum car like the MX5.
Daytona crash 7.jpg
Daytona crash 7.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
Daytona crash 6_pull 2.jpg
Daytona crash 6_pull 2.jpg (11.03 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
Daytona crash 8.jpg
Daytona crash 8.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
PS. Yes, you can fix a busted cool suit cooler with duct tape and gorilla glue. Ask me how...

hemitud
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

sounds like a great experience; glad you are well.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

On demand video is finally up for the T4 race:

http://www.scca.com/videos/1972624

Didn't get any air time (gotta be closer to the front for that), but we did get a shout out before the flag for fixing the car.

All the other videos are up as well- I recommend the HP, FP< and SM races- great viewing!