Looking for a SM/SSM Mentor

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Letze
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Miata

Looking for a SM/SSM Mentor

Post by Letze »

Figured I'd throw this out there.

I'm aiming to get into sm. I've read all of the rule books 3 times, going on my fourth this evening :P I'd like to work with a current SM/SSM driver to understand what I need to do to get into the series. I'd also like to learn and help with the different parts of what prep is involved with getting a car ready, I'll even follow you to the track to help out there as a spotter/pit crew.

My car.
http://closedshutter.com/sm/mb2.jpg

I got this one from Scott, Aside from getting a hard top and a replacement rear clip to fix the body damage I haven't done anything yet.

If you want a pit assistant this year for a race or two so I can get acclimated I'd appreciate your time.

Chason Croom
Chason
NB2 Miata Base
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: Looking for a SM/SSM Mentor

Post by aged racer »

Hi, Chason. Couple of us in SM here in the Region. Mine is parked for the moment, been playing in ITB this year. Might break it out sometime later in 2011. Scott Malbon in Blacksburg has a 1.6, is building a 1999 NB.

If you haven't already, spend some time on specmiata.com- literally the best source of information on the class and the cars. Also, visit Dave Wheeler's site (http://advanced-autosports.com/). He sells a lot of bits and pieces that make the build easier, and I recommend buying his constructors manual as well. Well worth $20.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: Looking for a SM/SSM Mentor

Post by Scott »

I race in SSM (and sometimes SM w/ a different intake). You are more than welcome to come help out at any events. I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the getting into W2W racing. Some things that are used in SM are not legal for SSM.