Runoffs at Road America

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Runoffs at Road America

Post by tac911t »

Carl Cress and I are planning to attend the Runoffs this year (September 20-26). It will be 22 years for Carl, almost continuous, we skipped the last year at Topeka, it was just not worth the drive (17 hours). It will be something like 19 or 20 for me, I skipped one or two at Road Atlanta, and one or two at Mid-Ohio (birth of children and work).
It is a 16 hour drive, but worth the trip!!!

Any other workers or drivers planning to attend? We typically work the 3 day race weekend (skipping the practice and qualifying days), so we will be leaving Wednesday night of the Runoffs week.

Last year, the weather was great (at least the days we were there), the food (brats) were delicious, and the racing was exciting.
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Re: Runoffs at Road America

Post by LynnCombs »

I would like to join you but vacation time does not permit if I want to attend the 24 Hours in January..
Lynn Combs
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

Emmitt Staley wasn't able to work it out this year, so I'll sit this year's out.

Awesome place, though- had a ball last year.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

What a great weekend. Carl and I left Lynchburg at 8:00 pm on Wednesday, arrived at Road America by 11:00 am Thursday (drove all night). Setup the tent Thursday night, and was woken up at 2:00 am by the high winds trying to blow the tent down. After tightening down the tent, was able to get to sleep by 3:30 am (the wind blew all night), and the tent stayed up into the morning. Friday morning went to the F&C meeting at 7:00, and drove by the tent after the meeting (about an hour later), and saw that the wind had knocked the tent down, busted some of the poles and pulled the stake down rings out of the grommets. Found a hotel in Fond Du Lac (about 25 miles away) to finish out the weekend.

The racing was spectacular. Weather was overcast and windy each day, with Friday having the heaviest winds. Lots of records were broken during the races

No major incidents during the first part of the week and into the first two days of racing.

Sunday was a busy day!!!
For the T1/STO race (race 1 on Sunday morning). There was a big slamazal after the
start of the T1 cars (mostly Corvettes and some Vipers). 8 cars got together right after the start stand. I think only 1 was lightly damaged, the rest were totaled. Red flagged the race, and when restarted about 1 hour later, they received a 15 minute race.

No drivers were injured in the making of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZxEleu ... r_embedded#!

There were some small numerous incidents in the Formula V race, and during the Formula Mazda race one of the cars flipped into Turn 5. That caused another Red flag.

By shortening lunch to 1/2 hour, the races were back on schedule for the afternoon.
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

I heard the Spec Miata's had a little crash fest as well (they only started 60 cars, jeez).
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.