Ideas for next year

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Ideas for next year

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

people of the brr.

There have been some ideas brought up for new ideas, venues, event ideas for next year. With that being said please comment if one or all seem like something you would attend and support

1. Having an event a points event autocross in Bristol Tennessee. Either jointly or by ourselves with east Tennessee region scca. Maybe 2? It's a great lot alot of people would enjoy. I understand it is a bit of a drive for the northern crowd but I feel the time has come to open up to new ideas for event venues even if they are a little further away.

2. Points event at Mercier county airport...or some other location in southern west van. This would be jointly with southern west can region scca. The reason behind this is due to swv region having almost no autocross season the last 2 years and a joint event would benefit both clubs with turnout

3. Brr-scca holding a track day at VIR. We could potentially jointly do this with ncr. We had a huge turnout at the ncr hpde and a bunch of us are planning to do more next year. This event would be open to people outside of the club as far as staffing, instructors, and participates.

I'm willing to take the lead on setting up any of these events as long as there is interest. All of these events are very easily able to be put on. Joint events would draw in new competitors from other regions and be a nice addition to our current schedule.
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: fiero

Re: Ideas for next year

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I'm down for 2 and 3. I'm only going to bristol for national events because I hate that lot.
88 Fiero Formula T-Tops (1 of 1252) BSP
87 Fiero GT swapped with a turbo 3.5 SSM
90 Miata Supercharged SSM
01 Mustang GT ESP
96 Plymoth Neon (prospective chump car)
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

tehmaxfactr wrote:I'm down for 2 and 3. I'm only going to bristol for national events because I hate that lot.
Yea I know you hate it but it's a million times better than any lot we have locally. Most brr members would love that lot. Us national guys have been spoiled seeing the even better lots across the country
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
RHDwillis
Competition Car: Mini

Post by RHDwillis »

I'm down for 3.

Not trying to sound mean, but what are we trying for with number 1 and 2? Are we aiming for lots or pushing for attendance?
07 Mini Chili Red
Julius-X
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Mazdas

Post by Julius-X »

All three sound great to me. I thought we lost Mercer County Airport because of an administration change. Princeton used to be a BRR regular locale until the previous administrator passed.

The track day/PDX would be a great time as I would definitely try to support any non autocross events that we could put on.
-Cliff
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS parked, in pieces
2008 Mazda RX-8 40AE seeking the ding king, parked - administrative, not mechanical issues
2016 Mazda MX-5 working the jinba ittai
toyotechwv
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by toyotechwv »

I'm in for 2 because this is 10 minutes from me. Also 3 is a go for me as well. Will have to codrive at any autox events next year though.
Paul Sexton
Master Diagnostic Technician at L&S Toyota of Beckley
2015 Toyota Prius......Use "The Force" young Padawan...Electromotive Force
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

RHDwillis wrote:I'm down for 3.

Not trying to sound mean, but what are we trying for with number 1 and 2? Are we aiming for lots or pushing for attendance?
Both would push attendance from other clubs and give us another option for very good lots.
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
BFisch06
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Chevrolet

Post by BFisch06 »

The short story is that we have very few quality lots to autocross on and those are difficult to book and/or expensive. We have need to find more lots or we'll join SWVR as a club that once was. I don't know how to prevent that, but new lots will attract more people who either haven't heard of us or aren't willing to travel 2+ hours to come to our events.

#1 is a decent idea. Not sure how both clubs would work. Long day? Fewer runs? Maybe I'm overestimating participation? The venue is nice and a high quality lot compared to what we work with on a regular basis.

#2 sounds awesome to me. That club has had more than their share of hardships recently (stolen trailer in 2015?) and then losing their primary autocross lot. They need and want help. We need to boost participation numbers, so that's a no-brainer. Do it. As far as lots, airports, schools, whatever. I'd even like to see a BRR vs. SWVR points event or even event series! Embrace the VMSC vs. BRR idea and get more club members out and participating.

#3 sounds great, but we need to be cognizant of existing SCCA events at VIR and the like. Most of us are already paying the SCCA membership - let's make use of it.
Solo #83: 2017 Chevrolet Volt
I'll drive anything made by GM. Yes, there's something wrong with me.
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

Hi Steffen,

I really like suggestions #1 and #3. I've been itching to do a track day and I've heard great things about the lot in Bristol Tennessee.

Cheers!
Chike D.
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

Chiketkd wrote:Hi Steffen,

I really like suggestions #1 and #3. I've been itching to do a track day and I've heard great things about the lot in Bristol Tennessee.

Cheers!
update

Idea 1 has been shot down for various reasons some people may or may not agree with. With that said there or a decent number or us planning to run for points with East Tennessee region this season. It's better for us to go there than to Verona.

Idea 2. Swva region did not get approval for the site so that's a no go as well

Idea 3. There are a good handful or brr members who are wanting to do track events this year. Some of us will be focusing on that more than local Autocrossers. I will be volunteering with some of the clubs to get my feet wet in running a track day and I encourage others who attended to volunteer there time as they would at an Autocross. Maybe then we could come host a track day when we have some experienced individuals.

With that that being said. My plans for this year is to hit a fairly full schedule of national events with a few other brr members as well as a decent schedule or track days. I may not make it to many brr autocross events except the Salem/Roanoke/Danville events but I hope to keep in touch with everyone.
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra